Friday, June 8, 2012

It's Greek to Me

I've been here for almost two weeks now and just finished my first week of work. The cultural differences and barriers are plentiful. For starters, the language. Most everyone speaks Cantonese all of the time, even around me. A few nice colleagues have filled me in on what the discussions are about, but for the most part I am very quiet in the workplace (rare for me, I know). On that same note, I unfortunately, can't do a large chunk of my work because I don't speak the native tongue. The majority of the phone calls and contacts that I have been given and need to book through prefer native speakers. It's a helpless feeling and at times I get the impression that the employees here would rather just do the work themselves instead of having to do it twice (once in English and once in Cantonese). I'm hopeful that after I've been here for a while then I will know which contacts I can communicate with and which I will have to pass onto someone else instead of waiting to hear back from them and potentially waste people's (very valuable) time.

Then there's lunch. 1pm and everyone is socializing and heading out to a restaurant together. Again, I'm constantly reminded that I'm "Not in Kansas" anymore as all of the menus are in Cantonese. My co-workers kindly read me the lunch specials, I make my selection and then they have to order for me. Also, there is no service. Waiters will seat you, you raise your hand when you're ready, they bring you the bill immediately and the food all comes out at different times. No one comes back to check on you or ask how your meal is. Apparently here it is not custom to wait for everyone to get their meal because you could be waiting for a while.

Another cultural difference is walking. I still haven't figured out if they walk on the right or the left side. I'd actually compare them to ants where they just walk straight until they bump into something and then turn. Also, HK has a very fast-paced lifestyle. However, people are either walking extremely fast or they are snails looking at their cell phones. With nothing in between. This makes it difficult for me when I'm dodging ants at difference paces. It's all Greek to me.
                                                               - - -
On top of work, I've still managed to squeeze in more sightseeing throughout the week:
Monday, June 4th I went to a demo in Victoria Park where a vigil attracting tens of thousands of people is held every year to commemorate the 1989 Tiananmen Square Crackdown. I was even interviewed by a local newspaper to get a foreigners perspective (although I'm sure I wasn't much help). The park was packed! Such a peaceful protest; a night and day difference to demonstrations in the states. Their word is heard without speaking. Even more moving I think. For dinner we went to a traditional Chinese restaurant and celebrated our first day of work with Tsing Tao beer and frog legs! Tastes like chicken :-)
                                                               Demo in Victoria Park


                                                            Tsing Tao and Frog Legs
Tuesday, June 5th I had dinner and drinks in Lan Kwai Fong which is Central's main restaurant and bar area. Note to self: don't eat the pizza in HK. You'll always be disappointed. But the ice cream is good!

Wednesday, June 6th: Happy Valley Horseraces!! Met the group at the Jockey Club and watched a few races. The course is stunning as you can see in the pictures. It was slightly humorous because for the first time since I've been here I didn't feel like the minority. Horseracing is clearly where all of the expats go. Ha! Felt right at home :-) Hoping to get back there once more before the summer is over.

                                                       Happy Valley Race Course





 Thursday, June 7th: We had our first of six classes with our professor. We meet at a private kitchen called Mum Chau's. It's quite famous-- and spicy, and you BYOB. Best class I've ever been to :-) Private kitchens are a result of the high rents in HK, so these are unlicensed eating establishments that have gained quite a following. There is no set menu, you eat what the cook decides. It was quite the experience! VERY spicy, but delicious!! We had three quest speakers that joined us from BBC, South China Morning Post, and CNN to speak about their experience working for Chinese media.
[Please note the high-end art on the walls ;-) - Love it! I wish my artwork as a kid got this kind of exposure]



Friday, June 8th: RELAX! Ready for the weekend and to reboot for round two. Miss you all!!


No comments:

Post a Comment