Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Find Your Beach... I did

Hi everyone!! I hope you are all enjoying your summer so far... Even though I am not partaking in the usual summer activities that I've come to love more than life itself (lake, wake surfing, hiking, beach BBQ, San Diego County Fair, camping, baseball games, etc.) I'm still doing my best to make sure I get some of those things included in my routine here. Starting with...

Sunday I hiked Dragon's Back! I'm checking things off my "Must do" list already! We met up with some friends, took the MTR to Shau Kei Wan station and a mini bus dropped us off at the trail head for Dragon's Back. I read about this hike before I came to Hong Kong, but it completely exceeded my expectations. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't quite cooperating (that morning it sounded like it was hailing outside - Impossible I know. Must be the tin roofs next to us), so throughout our hike it was drizzly and windy, but at least it made the humidity more bearable. We had a lush landscape all around us with the trail following the hilltops as they fall up and down with views of tropical beach villages and even a golf course! It was probably only 3 miles or so, but with the stairs and steps, it was definitely a good work out and I'll be back for sure. At one point towards the end, I was asking if there were any snakes in Hong Kong. One of the guys who lives here said he hikes regularly and has only seen 2 snakes in the 8 years he's lived here. After expressing my deathly fear of those slithery suckers, one crossed the trail in front of us! You could only imagine my shock/fear and reaction as I quickly jumped to the back of the group screaming. Subtle I know. But besides that, the rest of the hike was incredible with ocean views all around us as we made our decent to Big Wave Bay. You wouldn't know it that day, but apparently the waves do actually get big enough to surf. Maybe next time!
We ended the hike with great food and Coronas on the beach. The water was so nice, just wish I had brought my bathing suit. Next time for sure though! Can't wait to go back!
After that I was recharged and ready for round two!

                                                           Dragon's Back trail head

                                             Views on either side of the South China Sea
 
                                                   Gorgeous golf course right on the water!

                                                                     Big Wave Bay
                                                               I found my beach :-)

                                                                      - - - - - -

I was so pumped for my second week of work only to be slightly discouraged on Monday. I attended one of the largest conferences in Hong Kong with over 800 attendees, delegates, speakers, and government officials. It sure is a wake-up call to be the minority and having no one that wants to talk to you because you don't speak their language :-/ Back to the office at noon, optimistic about the day and then had nothing to do... Sigh.

                                  View from the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center
Add caption        

                                                               Yes, that's 65 Wongs!


Thankfully, Tuesday (6/12/12) was much better as I was finally given a large project for a client presentation that will hopefully keep me busy for the rest of this week. Time to be creative - I like it! After work, I planned a group of the interns to grab dinner on the harbor and watch the famous lazer light show that happens every night at 8pm. We enjoyed 2 for 1 Carlsbergs, had some delicious fajitas (considering I'm in HK they were good), but the show was a flop. Lasted about 20 minutes, but we couldn't really see it. I'm trying to stay optimistic that I just didn't have a good vantage point, but from what I've been told, it's not that exciting afterall. Damn. At least I had a good meal, live music, and a great view of the skyline! Not a bad way to end the day.


Wednesday (6/13/12), the rain came. If I thought walking around here normally was difficult, umbrellas make the streets deadly. I paid $20HK which is about $3USD for an umbrella. Probably should have splurged considering typhoon season is just around the corner and my puny thing can barely open. It's almost like bumper cars with people's umbrellas; no one moves out of the way. Very odd.
Another thing I've noticed is that people here don't have a problem staring. Now I know how foreigners feel in our country. How rude.

And I'll end today's blog with this fun fact: the Chinese love hot dogs! They are served everywhere. Here is a typical authentic Chinese breakfast -- yes, thats a hot dog inside a breakfast role. Don't get me wrong, it's delicious. Just funny looking :-) 


Until next time!!! xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment