Sunday, June 17, 2012

From Dusk till Dawn

Alright friends and family... I'm 1/4 of the way done with my internship and 1/3 of the way done with my time here in Hong Kong. Time seems to be going a little bit faster now, which is nice, but I'm sure I'll wish it would slow down during week 7 :-P

Thursday (6/14) we had our class dinner at another private kitchen. This one was Indonesian inspired. So far I've explored many cultural meals: Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Indonesian, and American of course. The food this time was... interesting. Up on the 14th floor, we had a nice view of Kowloon, chatting and catching up on the week. Then our final dish came out... and it was chicken feet (a Chinese delicacy)!!! I figured, When in Rome! Now that that's crossed off my bucket list I never have to try it again :-P Warning: The pictures below may not be suitable for sensitive stomachs.



Friday (6/15) was a good day at work! I was given a task and had to create a presentation for a potential client. My boss wanted it to be more design/image focused and less wordy. Naturally, I suggested Prezi (For those of you that don't know what Prezi is, it's another presentation format to replace PowerPoint. They use it a lot at USC). But silly me, I've never used it before. My boss wanted to see the presentation done in both Pp and Prezi and then she would decide which she liked better. I had to teach myself how to be a Prezi master before Friday when I presented both formats to her. She is now in love with Prezi! And because of this, I am giving a tutorial to the entire department on Prezi next week. Pretty cool, huh?? Who knows, maybe I have a future career in design :-)

Friday night a group of us went out in an area called Wan Chai. It's known for it's dive bars and pub food. A local took us to this incredible rooftop bar, Wooloomooloo Sky Lounge, with gorgeous views of the entire city and harbor! As I've mentioned before, the nightlife doesn't get started until midnight and people stay out till 7am. I made it till 3:30am then my body said enough is enough, and I took my tired self to bed. 


It was a rainy, lazy Saturday (6/16) and just what I needed. YAY! I absolutely love a rainy day in San Diego, but it sure isn't the same comforting feeling walking around in it here. I think my umbrella did more harm than good as I came back to my apartment completely soaked. Time for a replacement, I believe.

And to wrap up Week 3 and redeem myself for my unproductive Saturday, today Sunday (6/17) I was off on another hiking adventure! This time the trail lead me to Tai Long Wan. It's a remote island with white sands, but it was quite the trek to get there. After taking the MTR, bus, taxi, and a ferry to Wong Shek Pier, we finally started the hiking portion (Please note in the picture below that the driver of the ferry is literally sitting in an actual Taxi seat. Very interesting). We hiked up and over the hill, which took about an hour, and then came to Ham Tin beach on the other side. Gorgeous! After fueling our bodies with some delicious Chinese food (by far the best I've had all trip!), we finished off the hike climbing up slippery trails, holding onto ropes, and emerging from the greenery, which finally dropped us at a beach all to ourselves. I thought this only happened in movies! It was so incredible laying on the white sand and swimming in the warm water to think that one of the busiest cities in the world was only a few miles away... This is what I love about Hong Kong. I still can't get over how lush and green the landscape is here. Especially at this beach, I felt like I was in Jurassic Park or a scene from Lost :-) After a refreshing dip in the ocean, I took a nap and to my surprise, woke up surrounded by none other than COWS! HA and a lot of them! It all just made the experience that much more authentic. We're planning on retuning later this summer to camp over night. Apparently you rent a tent and gear, buy your food and drinks there and enjoy the beach. I'm ready!

                                                                  Our Ferry

                                                        Please note taxi seat...

                                                    First view of Chek Keng


  
                                                    The beach to ourselves....

                                                                     


                                                                 Cows? Yep.


                                        Good bye for now Tai Long Wan. I'll be back...
 Reminder: You can see all of my pictures on Facebook.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So here I am, half way around the world, getting ready for week 4, and wishing my dad a VERY HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!! I love you Daddy-O!! Can't wait to golf with you again when I'm home :-) xoxoxox


 And on that note, I hope all of your dads have a wonderful Father's Day as well -- So Good morning, sweet dreams, and everything inbetween. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment