Thursday, July 19, 2012

Boats, Beer and Business

This past weekend (July 14-15) was the annual Beer and Music Fest in Lan Kwai Fong (LKF). We had a fun time walking around the popular hang out area and enjoying the Hong Kong sunshine and humid weather (as usual). After scarfing down a delicious breakfast at California Vintage, an awesome wine bar full of all my favorite wines from CA, we made our way back to LKF. There were three different stages set up with an action-packed event schedule. The first stage, none other than a beer chugging contest, of course. The announcer was basically begging women to participate in the first round and I was eventually bullied into the spotlight. On stage, alone, for another 5 minutes while he recruited my three other opponents. Next thing I know there are two old Chinese women standing next to me. At this moment I think it's in the bag. The whistle blows, and embarrassment strikes. I'm beaten by an old Chinese woman in a beer chugging competition! How pathetic. Oh well. Obviously I'm not in my heyday, because it doesn't happen until I reach my 50s apparently. Needless to say, it was a fun day walking in the sun.

Lan Kwai Fong Beer and Music Fest
Is this a joke?
Off to a good start...
Dominated.

After the festivities, I met up with one of my co-workers from Ketchum who's been wanting to take me out and show me Hong Kong since I arrived 7 weeks ago - it was long overdue. Her activity of choice? A sail boat ride around Victoria Harbor! It was absolutely stunning. Sailing around at night with skyline views on either side of me of Kowloon Bay and Hong Kong Island were mesmerizing. Such a sight!

Hong Kong Island Skyline
My co-worker, Stephanie, and I
---
Sunday was a lazy day, complete with brunch, the ladies market and frozen yogurt. You may be wondering what the ladies market is. In essence, it's just a bunch of street vendors selling all kinds of cheap souvenirs, clothes, and knock-offs. It is appropriate to bargain with them and pretty much name your price for what you want to pay. It truly is an art with these vendors (yes, most of them are women and no, they don't have a men's market). I asked how much for a silk robe and she told me $150HK. I thanked her and walked away. By the time I had gotten not even 5 yards away she was yelling at me, "$50!!" I didn't even have to say a word. Very interesting. If only you could do that everywhere :-P

Ladie's Market in Mong Kok


Also, I was unaware of this, but the majority of the local's house maids and workers are Filipino women. They work every day of the week except Sundays. On this day, they all gather together, dress up, eat good food, play games, nap, and gossip. Most common areas are in public walkways and sidewalks (see pic). And no they're not homeless; they make their own designated areas for the day out of cardboard.


---
Back in the saddle and ready to rumble. Week 7 has already been jammed packed with, you guessed it - PREZI! Wrapping up a big project now and sending the final to the VPs today and then excited to move on to the next. Writing media alerts, meetings, and helping with our Disney client will rap up my week... Wednesday morning I woke up to a huge typhoon - the biggest I've experienced thus far. The lightening lit up my entire apartment (not a difficult feat I'm aware) and the thunder was so loud cracking directly over head. I thought for sure it was a Level 8 and I wouldn't have to go to work. Unfortunately, come 8am it was just a drizzle and off to work I went. Hi Ho.

 Staying busy for these last 7 working days and so excited to start enjoying summer to the best of my ability - at the beach and traveling more! :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment